L.A. homeowner who fired on armed robbers has concealed carry permit suspended

0

A Los Angeles homeowner who exchanged gunfire with a pair of would-be robbers in a terrifying incident that was captured on home surveillance video earlier this month has had his concealed carry license suspended, officials with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department confirmed to KTLA.

The Nov. 6 incident happened outside Vince Ricci’s home in a Central L.A. neighborhood. His wife and 5-month-old child were reportedly inside the residence when the shootout occurred.

Ricci had just pulled into his gated driveway and was walking to the front door when masked robbers jumped over a wall.

Video shows one robber charging at Ricci with a gun as he goes to open his front door.

The homeowner immediately drops his keys and a beverage, pulls out a concealed handgun and opens fire on the intruders, who run away while returning fire.

Neighbors called 911 and officers arrived a short time later but could not find the robbers, a Los Angeles Police Department spokesperson told KTLA. No injuries were reported.

“L.A. criminals came to my home, pointing guns at my chest,” Ricci says in a nearly two-minute video posted to X, formerly Twitter, by the National Rifle Association. “After successfully defending my home and family and my 5-month-old child, California has now decided to end my Second Amendment [rights].”

In a statement to KTLA, the sheriff’s department said the California Department of Justice “establishes guidelines” for concealed carry weapons permits (CCW) and that “the Sheriff’s Department must follow the DOJ parameters in accordance with the law.”

LASD did not provide a specific reason for why Ricci’s concealed carry permit was suspended.

However, in California the city or county that issued the license must revoke it if they are notified by the state DOJ or determine that “a license holder is legally prohibited from possessing firearms or that the licensee has become a disqualified person,” according to Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, an organization led by former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords.

In its statement to KTLA, the sheriff’s department did say that Ricci’s CCW may immediately be reinstated as long as he has followed all the required policies, such as “proper notifications” and “use of [a] properly documented weapon.”

“The DOJ has been notified and there are avenues for Mr. Ricci to re-apply for his permit,” LASD’s statement said. “We have been in contact with the Ricci family and have been providing information to them about CCW protocols and guidelines in an effort to ensure their Second Amendment rights are protected.”

On Saturday, the Los Angeles Police Department released a statement on X regarding Ricci’s concealed carry permit that read:

“The Department is continuing the robbery investigation involving Vince Ricci. The Los Angeles Police Department has not issued nor revoked a permit to carry a concealed weapon involving Mr. Ricci.”

The armed suspects, according to LAPD, fled Ricci’s home in a dark-colored sedan.

One of the suspects was described as a Black male, approximately 5 foot 10 inches tall, who was wearing a black ski mask, black shirt, black pants and was armed with an unknown type of handgun.

A second suspect was described as a Black male, approximately 5 foot 9 inches, wearing a mask and a gray hooded sweatshirt with a blue stripe from the shoulder to the arm.

No description was available for the driver of the vehicle.

Anyone with information about this incident is encouraged to contact Olympic Division Detectives at 213-382-9316. Those wishing to remain anonymous can leave tips with L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477 or online at L.A. Crime Stoppers.

For the latest news, weather, sports, and streaming video, head to KTLA.

The post L.A. homeowner who fired on armed robbers has concealed carry permit suspended First appeared on www.yahoo.com

Leave A Reply